Friday, August 21, 2009

Avika Gor Wanted To Be Miss Universe


A very grownup conversation with 12-Year old Balika Vadhu sensation Avika Gor.

Avika, how has Balika Vadhu changed your life?
More people want to talk to me. You are calling, aren't you? Now you're my friend.

Nope. I am your fan.
Ha ha. I love the attention. I love meeting new people.

What about your friends and teacher in school?
They tell me not to cry in Balika Vadhu. Because when they see me cry they feel sad.

Yeah even I cry?
Really ? You shouldn't. That's Anandi the character crying. Not Avika.

Avika, you've become an overnight star with Balika Vadhu.
Have I? But it isn't my first serial. I earlier did Rajkumar Arryan, Chalti Ka Naam Gaddi and Karam Apna Apna.

But none of these made you a household name?
Haan, I agree. Thank you.

How can anyone so small be so talented?
Issmein kaun si badi baat hai? It's my father, and the writer of Balika Vadhu and my director Siddharth Sengupta. All of them taught me to do the right thing in front of the camera.

You talk like a 40 year old
But I am just 12. You don't believe it? It feels great to be called a star at this age.
Who are your favourite actors?
Shah Rukh Khan, Shahid Kapoor, Hrithik, Kareena, Katrina, Deepika….I like them all.

And guess who's my favourite? It's Avika.
Sacchi? She talks too much, don't you think? Avika makes people cry and laugh. If you meet her please tell not to make Anandi cry and laugh. Pucca bolna.

What do people call you Avika or the girl in the serial Anandi?
Neither. They call me Nak-chadi chuhiya and Bindani. That's a bride on the Rajasthani language.

How many hours do you shoot for Balika Vadhu? Do you get to do fun things?
Sab kuch karti hoon main. Yes, I do miss school sometimes. But I bring my school books on the sets and study between shots. I go to school in the mornings and then I shoot for 7-8 hours.

An 12-year old girl working for so many hours?!
It's hardly anything because 2 hours is set aside to sleep and study. So that's only five hours of work. Even at school I've to put in that many hours of work, no?

And I can always have my friends over on the sets when I want to play with them. Otherwise I play with the crew members of my serial.

So Balika Vadhu is like school?
No it's fun. Acting is my hobby.

So what do you want to be when you grow up?
Miss Universe

In the meanwhile?
Tab tak padhaai karungi, films karungi, sab kuch …

What about the brat who plays your husband?
What about him? He's nice. No we don't fight at all. We study and play together.

But doesn't he pull your hair?
That's Anandi's hair he's pulling, not Avika's.

Who are your friends?
Everyone in Balika Vadhu. My Saasu-ma, my mother, Anoop Soni Uncle…they all love me immensely.

Do you watch television?
Yes, whenever I get time. I love Balika Vadhu and everything on Cartoon Network.

Do you watch Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi?
Sometimes. I like it. Every serial has something different to offer.

Do you know your Balika Vadhu has effected Kyunki Saas…?
Really? That's good to hear. But aisa nahin hai ke, people don't watch those serials any more.

But they watch Balika Vadhu more?
Acha hai na? (giggles).

It seems you'll have to work in Balika Vadhu for a long time.
I'm really happy for that.

I'm also doing very small roles in two feature films Paathshaala and Morning Walk with Anupam Kher, Sharmila Tagore, Rajat Kapoor and Divya Dutta. These were signed before Balika Vadhu.

You're very sweet. Don't neglect your studies.
I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment